This workshop is designed for parents who want to learn about the symptoms, risk-factors and treatments for the most common mental and emotional health problems facing parents today. Take a deep dive with us into the science and practice behind thriving as parents in heart and mind.
We’ve designed Flourish: Knowing When We Need Help with clinical psychologist, Nadia Torres-Eaton, PsyD, to help parents be able to:
- Identify the signs of common mental health problems parents face
- Understand conventional and holistic treatments for parents' common mental health problems
- Reduce the risk for these common mental health problems
- Meet new people. All parents in this course are as motivated as you are to explore common mental health problems and care for ourselves as parents. And we need each other especially as we swim against the stream of our larger social environment that can lead us to feel overwhelmed, drained, and alone.
- Get results. As you dive into the course content and meet the community here, you'll be connecting deeper with what flourishing means to you and your family. It's not necessarily easy; but doing this together matters
Week 1: What Is Mental Health and Why Is It Important for Parents?
- Lesson 1.1. A bad day or something more?
- Lesson 1.2 Deficit-focused approaches to mental health
- Lesson 1.3 Holistic approaches to mental health
- Lesson 1.4 Why focus on mental health for parents?
- Lesson 1.5 A note on diagnosis: it's ok to not be ok
Week 2: What are Adjustment Disorders?
- Lesson 2.1 The clinical definition
- Lesson 2.2 How psychologists identify an adjustment disorder
- Lesson 2.3 Defiicit-focused vs. holistic approach to adjustment disorder
- Lesson 2.4 Common causes of adjustment disorders
- Lesson 2.5 Common treatments for adjustment disorders
Week 3: What are Depression Disorders?
- Lesson 3.1 The clinical definition
- Lesson 3.2 How psychologists identify a depression disorder
- Lesson 3.3 Common causes of depression
- Lesson 3.4 Common treatments for depression disorders
Week 4: What are Anxiety Disorders?
- Lesson 4.1 The clinical definition
- Lesson 4.2 How psychologists identify an anxiety disorder
- Lesson 4.3 Common causes of anxiety disorders
- Lesson 4.4 Common treatments for anxiety disorders
Week 5: Ready for Change
- Lesson 5.1 Your comfort zone
- Lesson 5.2 Your learning zone
- Lesson 5.3 Your growth zone
- Lesson 5.4 Additional tools and resources